IW skaters and supporters are hard at work raising funds to send the junior synchronized skating team, Wight Jewels, to Sweden this year for further training with top coach Andrea Dohany.
The gala on 26 June raised £312.56 from entry fees and the raffle. In addition, Dale Howarth raised £314.00 in donations from a collection at a business seminar at Quay Arts on the same evening. Dale was giving a talk on Business Success in the Age of Less in the Anthony Minghella Theatre.
Further fundraising schemes for the synchro team are planned for July. Gail Collins (tel: 565180 or 07973 971017) is co-ordinating a number of activities, including:
1. How many things can you get in a matchbox. £1 a box. (£20 to win if we sell all 100). A fun activity for adults and children. Available from the coach’s room, more details with the boxes.
2. Car Treasure Hunt, Sunday 14 July 1pm to 3.30pm, to arrive at Ponda Rosa (staggered start) winners announced at 5pm. There are stalls selling a variety of items while you await your departure. £2 per person.
3. Beetle Drive – a dice game of chance for all ages. £2 per person – play in pairs. At the Ponda Rosa. Stalls there too.
4. Photo Shoot – professional photographer downstairs at Black Sheep Bar, Ryde, on Saturday 27 July 10am to 1pm. A selection of photos emailed to you so you can print off as many as you want. (£5 per person, £10 per family as long as we get raise £200). Please text or call me to register your interest and book a slot.
5. Sing three songs on a CD, practice 15th/16 July. Record Mon 22/23 July. Black Sheep Bar downstairs for both. Times to be confirmed. Text me that you are interested.
6. We are collecting copper coins in a bottle in coaches’ room. If you want to throw anything in there it would be greatly appreciated.